Monday 20 January 2014

What's your most romantic moment?


Valentine's Day is fast approaching and whether you love it or hate it, are single or in a relationship it's all around, in the shops, restaurants, jewellers...(hint hint hubby!) So to get you in the true spirit of St Valentine, I thought I would let you know of an opportunity to win an amazing Valentine's getaway to the picturesque Claymore hotel in the stunning area of Loch Lomond in Scotland provided by the lovely people at National Holidays. All you have to do is create a blog post detailing your most romantic moment and submit the link onto their competition page. 

To get you started here is my entry to the competition...

My most romantic moment wasn't necessarily the most traditional...I met my now husband, Bradley whilst we were in our final year of University, but our relationship didn't start that smoothly. We both had our dissertations to submit and final exams to prepare for so couldn't spend that much time together, once they were out of the way we agreed to see each other again. But then, he dropped another bombshell on me - he had been offered a six month work placement working with a marine conservation group - on a remote island in Greece - and he was leaving in two months. During the time before he left we saw each other every weekend. I traveled the 250+ miles from my hometown of Bournemouth to his home town of Norwich every Friday night and back again on the Sunday evening.

As the time drew closer to him leaving, we decided on ways that we could communicate with each other whilst he was out there. He was promised broadband internet so I bought myself a laptop and webcam so we could chat. His phone contract was due to come to an end so there was no point in taking one out with him. When he left, three days had passed and I hadn't heard anything. I tried not to get worried despite my parents reassurances that everything was probably ok. Then on the fourth day I received a text message from a number I didn't recognise, it had a Greek area code prefix and I was immediately excited. It was from Bradley explaining that there was no internet (only dial up from a dongle which everyone wanted to use) and he had gone into the town and bought himself a Greek phone and sim card so he could talk to me.

I replied saying how I missed him and that I hoped we would be able to chat soon. Later that night I was woken up by a phone call from the same number. He said that he wanted to phone so he could hear my voice and that he missed me. Then he said he didn't want to be away from me and that he wanted to marry me. Suddenly I snapped out of my sleep induced state and said "what?!" then he said it again and this time he asked the question "Will you marry me?" I immediately said yes and we chatted until the credit ran out on his phone. I was too excited to sleep then and laid awake wishing that he was back now.

When the time eventually came for him to return I went to the airport to pick him up and as he came through the arrivals gate I burst into tears. We then went straight into town and he picked me out an engagement ring! Now it's almost six years later (we have almost been married two) and although we only got engaged after being "together" a few months I'm still as happy as when we first met.


What's your most romantic moment?


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely story, my relationship was an international long distance one (US/UK) for over two years, i'm so glad we made that work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's such a lovely story! I'm in a long distance relationship too (nearly 3 years), it's so hard but worth it if you both try. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that's such a sweet story! And you look absolutely gorgeous in that wedding day photo :) x

    ReplyDelete